Sunday 5 February 2012

Portrait of John Lloyd Jones, Isabella Beetham


This image shows the idea of Victorian paper silhouettes of profile portraits of people. Using blackened cream paper which has been cut out to create an outline of the John Lloyd Jones head against a white background. This was a method which the Victorians adapted and has for ever been changed and become more modern. I choose this image but I like the simplicity of the picture as it lacks details of the face like a drawing includes but shows detail in the way it has been cut and the outline of the face. Within my work this image reflects my Textiles brief on Dada and the concept on chance. I used the idea of outline but adapted it to fashion garments and experimented with the idea. I used the black paper to define the shape of the garment whilst leaving open spaces for black and white mark making. I feel that even though the works looks completely different with style and subject matter there is a link between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment